Based on the results and services of the library it is longing to stay a reference and university library, and the basic institute of the intellectual society of the region. It provides free access to information on the level of high information technology for each citizen besides the possibility of lifelong learning and acquiring culture.
The library is nowadays – and moreover in the future – a knowledge and information centre. Besides, focusing on the users, it works as a common place for both traditional and virtual meetings providing the visitors with the possibility of consultation and discussion.
The future image targeting to present an integrated library service system which:
- integrates the different user groups through providing equal terms
- integrates library services through uniformed purchase, process practice and retrieval system
- integrates the terms of accessing the services: users can access the same information by logging in at any point of the institution
- integrates the public collections of secondary and tertiary schools, the archives and the department libraries
- integrates the traditional tasks of libraries with the new network technology.
The Library and Archives of the University of Pannonia is an open reference and university library having national functions, which provides services on technical and economical areas, and on the area of inanimate natural and social sciences for the experts of the spheres of educational and research development institutions and of the region.
The Library and Archives of the University of Pannonia, together with the faculty, institution and department libraries, operates on the one hand as a national and regional reference library fulfilling the information needs of technical and social science researches, development, education and on the other hand - as the overall structural unit of the University, as a university task – it provides library and scientific information for the teachers, researchers and students of the University regarding the taught and researched sciences.
- As a library with national functions the library is a member of the National Document Providing System (ODR), providing data to the ODR centre and it provides services from its full collection in the ODR.
- As a university library its task is to provide literature and information for the students, teachers and researchers and other assistants of the University and to spread and widen general intelligence with the tools of a library. Its task is to evaluate the needs regarding library services and providing the appropriate educational and research circumstances for each university citizen to carry out the interior library activities efficiently and to access exterior information resources. It tries to apply the best possible technology, organises and performs the frequent training of the users of the library and employs librarians and information technology experts who are well-prepared and devoted to realise the objectives of the Library. The Library is going to develop its services continuously through establishing and improving the proper structures of the library. As the library-informational professional organisation of the University the Library cooperates in training the literature research methodology carried out in the framework of special subjects; it carries out decision preceding work for the management of the University in library-professional matters. It keeps and makes available the university archives in its professional archives. It performs publishing, printing and distributing activities.
- As the centre of the university library network the libraries of the faculty and organisational units of the university belong to its network. Its task is to help faculty, institutional and department libraries belonging to the library network of the university and help their integration to the uniformed library system.
- As a service provider it collects, processes information, and constructs in Hungarian and in foreign languages databases proper to its objectives. It performs publishing, printing and distributing activities. Edits and publishes the HIJC journal.
The purpose of organisation development is to increase the service potential of PEKL library network. For this purpose its strategic tasks are:
- the examination of the cover of regional service
- the occurrence of quality provisions
- effective utilisation of available resources
- analysis and provision of the long term sustainability of the operation.
Supporting teaching and learning
Objectives regarding the support of teaching
Universal and quality information supply:
- PEKL must be able to fulfil the arising information needs of the teachers and students of the University without making the user turn to other resources.
- PEKL is keen on making both the teachers and the students able to communicate through the most versatile and most flexible solutions with the computer/electronic information system and the library/assistant staff. There are more and more services introduced, which are available without visiting a library.
Research supporting services
- PEKL has reached good results in serving information resources through national and university network. The cooperation of this area is a good sample for all EISZ programs and OTKA and consortional database purchases apart from this they have been working well for years for the purpose of providing access to foreign literature.
- Digitalisation of library and university knowledge property must be considered as an underlined task of PEKL, the archiving and national and international availability must be solved as well. From this aspect visualising the notes published by University Publishing on the university network is on the way. Copyright is provided by contracts with the authors.
- For the efficient utilisation of the collection PEKL considers the integration of bibliographical data to a common catalogue (Hungarian National Common Catalogue MOKKA) as a basic objective and strengthening the nationwide activity helping that. The processed collection of PEKL gets to MOKKA until April 2011 with the support of the awarded tender, mark: TÁMOP-3.2.4-08/2-2009-0003.
- PEKL considers as its own task the database – referring to publishing activity - establishment and development of the researchers of the university. Assessing and uniformed publishing of local data and making them retrievable must be carried out while paying attention to the national needs and demands. PEKL has joined a national initiative called Hungarian Scientific Works Fund (MTMT) to realise that.
- Our library – pursuant to Govt. Decree 33/2007. (III. 7.) and the Act ODT 212/2008. (XII. 12.) – is collecting and making available on its website all the dissertations having been written since 2001. The short time objective is to create a database completed with the missing data, which meets the standards of the Hungarian Doctoral Committee and the needs of the doctoral schools operating at our university. Our long time objective is to disclose wholly the bibliographic data of the dissertations made before 2001 and integrate them into the abovementioned system.
Content providing strategy
PEKL is changing from collection increasing strategy to ’content providing strategy’.
Strategic objective of improving our own collection:
- keeping the level of book purchase; regarding journals: maximalising the number of titles available electronically until the limit of possibilities, keeping the ‘paper-based’ subscriptions;
- improving the audiovisual collection to provide background for both university and non-university learning.
Digital library and electronic document providing system
PEKL is establishing a digital library and electronic document providing system regarding which the digitalisation and electronic service
- do not offend copyrights,
- cost arising in connection with the rights of the author(s) can be financed from support or through payment service.
For the sake of solving this task we pay special attention to the digitalisation of university notes and electric collecting and archiving of Ph.D. essays and the integration of the main data of these into the European dissertation database.
Purchase on special needs
Increasing document acquisition on special needs, namely the one based on information retrieval and on-line database services, it needs to be increased in a higher proportion than the improvement of the own collection.
Quality improvement of the services
Service improvement through getting more information on the needs
Knowing more about the needs and getting information on them in a more organised way the user sphere of PEKL will be involved in the work including development strategy and in decision preparing referring to both contextual and formal matters of the services. Both university citizens and the exterior users are included. We have implemented an organised need-estimation and feedback system backed by computers. This system is a part of establishment of the quality insurance system regarding the whole operation of the library.
Improving present services
- Continuous improvement of the quality of integrated, automatisated (ALEPH-based) library services, and the further comprehensive modernisation of the computer system. Through the additional programs of ALEPH system (SFX, Metalib, Digitool) the query of subscribed databases in a uniformed system can be provided.
- Increasing the computerised exploration of the collection:
- controlling and processing the collections of department libraries
- the widest possible disclosing of collections of the field-training institutes (Pápa, Nagykanizsa).
- providing making the theses, dissertations defended at the university retrievable the most detailed way possible.
- Increasing the efficiency of interlibrary borrowing.
- Improving, updating the website of PEKL and providing the possibility of being interactive.
- PEKL has emphasised, and will do so in the future; the training of its users through frequent, special individual meetings and through providing on-line guides.
Human politics strategy
The condition of a service reaching an appropriate level is a well-prepared, stabile staff. In the framework of the quality insurance of the library the frequent, internal training of our colleagues, the support of their life-long learning and the organisation of their foreign language studies are realised. Due to the low number of staff of PEKL we employ student demonstrators and retired colleagues having great professional experience in the areas where it is possible from our income.
The library is an independent economic organisation, so the cooperation with our colleagues from GMF is essential to have a connection that is efficient and free of problems.
The budget of PEKL is prepared with the cooperation of the economic management and the GMF employees. This budget and the attached explanations and deductions assure the transparency and controllability of the utilisation of those resources from tenders and the university common, which are considered to be public money.
Regarding that both the costs of acquiring documents/information and the price of the electronic services indicate a rate that overruns the general inflation rate, and on the other hand both the government of Hungary and the EU are trying to reduce the expenses of the budget, our realisable objective can be – regarding the resources of the budget – an increase reaching at least the rate of the general inflation and if it is possible to follow the inflation of book/information trade.
We are trying to finance the improvement basically from resources from tenders. During that we exploit the opportunities of the national and EU library, information and computer technology tenders, and furthermore we join every tender, which thematically connect to the interest of our users.
Pursuant to our practise we are trying to use financial and budget resources efficiently and economically completing them significantly with donations acquired from further national and EU resources and increasing our incomes accruing from our services provided upon payment.
Information marketing strategy
- Continuous updating, expanding of the content of the Website/Portal.
- Close connection with the Communication and PR groups of the university.
- Visiting and organising professional and public events, exhibitions.
- Reacting to reader feedbacks, needs, criticism through conscious communication, later attaching the experience of these back to library activities.
Besides collecting documents the Archives of PEKL is keeping important university historical values. We must prepare the newest version of the archives repertory and fondlist. We have to progressively turn to computer registration. We have to go on processing, digitalisating, archiving the valuable inheritance.
Publishing, printing, distributing
The University Publishing and Book shop, cooperating with the University Prints, publishes the university notes and other publications and other printings. There is a possibility to publish low impression works digitally. The Book shop undertakes to sell works from other publishers preferentially debiting student note-support. Extending the library’s online services that have been working for years is present amongst its objectives, besides extending the distribution activity based on the distributor agreement concluded with national publishers.